Deciding to take a leap into the unknown and start wearing contact lenses is an exciting step and Funky Eyes is here to help you along the way! This section of Funky Eyes’ website acts as a guide to answer common questions for first time contact wearers.
HOW TO INSERT YOUR CONTACT LENSES
With practice, inserting your contact lens will become second nature. It’s very important that you ensure your hands are thoroughly clean before handling your lenses; wash them with a natural soap that is free from scents, oils and lanolin, ensuring that no traces remain.
- Placing the lenses in your palm, use a lens solution to rinse them. This will remove any lingering dirt or dust that could cause irritation to your eyes.
- Shake your lens storage container so that the solution gently loosens the lenses in the case they are stuck in. Contact lenses are delicate and can be easily damaged or tear, so you should not use your fingers.
- Always start with the right contact lens first so you don’t mix up the lenses as each of your eyes is different.
- Place the contact lens at the tip of your index finger on your lens hand.
- With your other hand, use your thumb and index finger to lift your upper eyelid and lower your bottom eyelid.
- Looking either straight ahead or upwards, slowly move your lens hand in the direction of your eye and position the contact lens carefully on the white of your eye.
- To help position the lens correctly, blink a few times until the contact feels comfortable.
- Make sure you wash your hands again before proceeding with the next contact lens, which should be your left contact lens if you started with the right contact lens as instructed.
- You should now enjoy your contacts and there should not be any discomfort from wearing the lens.
HOW TO REMOVE YOUR CONTACT LENSES
Before removing your lenses, wash your hands! When removing your contacts it’s easy to accidentally drop them without noticing, seriously, this is done more than you think. So, be careful and make sure your contact actually makes it into the appropriate side of your contact case.
- Using your index finger and thumb, lift your upper eyelid and lower one.
- With your other hand, gently slide the lens onto the white of your eye.
- Using your thumb and index finger on your free hand, squeeze the lens gently and lift it out of your eye.
- Tip: We advise having short nails so you don’t scratch your eye or rip your lens!
CONTACT LENS HYGIENE RULES
Below are some basic rules to remember when it comes to wearing and storing your contacts lenses.
- Let your eyes breathe! Your eyes need air to function properly, just like the rest of your body.
- Never let anyone else wear your colored contacts. Sharing is normally good, but not in this case!
- Never swim, shower, bathe in your colored contact lenses.
- Never sleep in your colored contact lenses.
- Never wear dry, dirty or damaged colored contacts.
- Never wear lenses for longer than their maximum wear time. Funky Eyes’ contacts last up to 90 days, and up to 8 hours per day when hydrated as instructed.
- Always handle your colored lenses with clean dry hands.
- Always clean your colored contacts after each wear.
- Always store your colored contacts in fresh solution and in a clean contact lens case.
- Always be gentle with your colored lenses when handling, they can easily be damaged or rip if handled without care.
- Always remove your colored contact lenses immediately if they irritate or cause redness!
- Always check with a doctor if irritation or redness continues after removing your colored contacts, or for any other issues.
- Always make sure you don’t wear lenses after their lifespan has expired. Once they have expired throw them away.